Saturday, March 22, 2008

Part 7d - Refinements 4

After this week's play test, the fingerboard sounded like it would need less smooth-sanding than I originally thought. If I say so myself, not bad work with just a plane so far.

This afternoon, agonized over whether or not to stain the body and/or neck. I've decided that I'm going to stain the back of the body a red mahogany, and leave the quilted maple face natural. A real trick will be in the border work, between the back and front of the body. I have a plan for that too...

Tonight, sanded the neck down, smoothing out the rough shaping from last week. Also smooth-sanded the fingerboard.

Took the tuners off, and smooth-sanded the headstock. I ordered some birdseye maple headplate material, and so I'll be sanding the thickness of the headstock down by another 1/16" to 1/8". A nice plus is that along with the birdseye headplates (I got two), included in the sale is a fingerboard blank of the same material. Electric viola, anyone?


My motto on this is, if this project is going to fail, it will not have failed because I've not pushed the envelope far enough. Pictures tomorrow.

No comments: