Thursday, February 21, 2008

Part 3a - Carving the Fingerboard

I got a lot of the checks sanded out of the zebrawood board last night.
Then I listened to it. I balanced the board on one finger of my left hand, and tapped each end with my right index fingertip.
I could hear a note, which was good, but there was no ring to it, which means that the wood might be OK to use, but it might also sound a bit dead.

I bought a second blank, of rosewood, about the same time I bought the zebrawood, and so I decided to see if that sounded any better.
I cut it down to fit the neck, and sound-tested it the same way I'd done with the zebrawood.
This time, I could hear a note, but also a slight ring after it. This means (to me, at least) that the wood should make a better fingerboard than the zebrawood.

About carving rosewood: This stuff is tough to cut, which in itself is an understatement. I've never sculpted in cast concrete, but I would imagine that the experience might be a bit like this.

As before, I'm going to take some pics and post them. I just need to get the camera in the same room as the cello.

Update 02/22: Here are some pictures of the rosewood blank, cut to fit the neck, before carving:



Here's a close-up of some interesting striping.

No comments: