Monday, February 25, 2008

Part 4a - neck pictures

This post is full of pictures of this weekend's progress. I color-corrected them a bit in iPhoto, so they look a little more realistic.

First, the tuning machine holes were drilled into the headstock. Note the outline of some upcoming carving to round off he headstock.




Next, the back of the neck is carved.



Here's the incline bevel, so that the neck will tilt back from the body. This carving was a little complicated, because unlike most bolt-on neck cavities, the body that I'm using actually curves from one side of the cavity to the other.



Next, the fingerboard is attached to the neck. This was more successful than I expected, except for one point of separation. I'm not sure how I want to address that, it looks pretty minor in comparison to the rest of the job. I'll see if it affects the sound in the play test. I'm more concerned about buzzing than cosmetics.



In order to inspect the tilt of the neck, and also because I couldn't stand the suspense any longer, to see what this thing will look like put together, I attached the neck to the body.



Here's a profile view of the neck tilt. I have to say, I think it turned out OK. The other neat thing was the curve that I carved into the fingerboard. Since the back of the neck has that little whatever-it-is that borders the incline bevel, I thought it would look kind of cool if the fingerboard were to echo that same curve.



Last, here's a full-body view of the state of things so far.

No comments: